The Importance of Inspections
You may have recently seen an article in the news whereby a potential disaster was avoided thanks to the commitment and professionalism of the Local Council.
Aughton Parish Council
undertook a routine, yet comprehensive, inspection of their playground equipment when razor blades were found taped to the sides of a children’s slide. It goes without saying that the potential consequences would have been unthinkable should the playground inspection not taken place.
Fortunately a case such as this is rare, but it once again highlights the importance of the role that the Local Council plays within the community.
Where the Council is responsible for a playground, they have a duty of care to ensure that the equipment is in a good state of repair and fit for purpose. This is why BHIB Councils Insurance requires frequent inspections as a policy condition.
The following can be undertaken to reduce the risk of potential injury to those that use the equipment:
- Equipment made of wood should be inspected for splintering or cracks
- Check the equipment for sharp, rough or broken edges
- All equipment should be inspected to ensure it is suitably secure with no signs of weakening
- Fences should be checked to ensure the area is secure
- Ensure ground surfaces are in good condition and well maintained
- Ensure there are no signs of rust on metal equipment
If you need help with your inspection plan, then please feel free to contact us
today or call us on 0330 013 0036